The email I received from my Development and Communications Coordinator, which came through our “Contact Us” location on our Website said:
“Good afternoon, I actually chat sometimes with John Wheaton on Instagram. I have been following the work closely when photos are posted on IG; the scope looks like you might be able to help my company with a current NYC custom curtain wall project. The project is (project address removed for blog purposes), and we not only have to provide the curtain wall but we own the design and installation of waterproofing behind the glazing. I was wondering if Wheaton & Sprague could provide pricing to consult on waterproofing for this job. Please let me know who to send preliminary shop drawings and arch info to. Note that this is a very time sensitive project. Thank you.”
This is an example of “inbound marketing.” In other words, it came to us; we didn’t go outbound to generate the lead directly. It was the product of RELATIONSHIP BUILDING. It is also an example of how leads and RFP’s (requests for proposals) are generated via social media.
“So how do I actually get leads for real sales from Instagram; how does this work?” Here’s a few pointers, experiences, and examples.
- Posting is an act of “creating awareness.” It brings visibility. Keep posting.
- Engage with the people who follow; follow them back; thank them for comments. Send DM’s. Have a conversation.
- Keep posts consistent and organic. We must be true to our DNA, passion, interests, realities. No need to try to contrive ideas. Just post. Post interests, projects, comments, use hashtags
- Put the company website link in the bio of the IG profile
- Have a personal and a company IG profile
- Call out the company in the personal posts. If you don’t have a company, or “you are the company” then put your blog or personal website link in the bio
- Create a unique hashtag around your brand. Ours is #creatingstructure
- Connect with as many people and companies in your space as you can; especially with those that are active.
When people tell you that social media marketing doesn’t work for business; it doesn’t work in professional services; it doesn’t return an ROI; that they can’t afford a social media support person, etc., etc., just smile and nod. Keep posting. You get to become the lead generator; the engaged one; the relationship builder in multiple platforms. But IG and Social is not the answer alone. It’s just ONE Answer. One means. It should be just another manifestation of an outward focus; an outward seeking mentality; a passionate desire to connect on many levels with people, with their businesses, and their needs. And remember, it only takes one lead, one proposal, one sale, one referral, to reinforce the importance. I can’t tell you how many leads we’ve gotten from social media platforms.
Be present. Be engaged. Create more content than consumed. Listen to the community. It works.